Congress Venue: Palazzo Incontri Sala Verde e Sala Biblioteca CR Firenze
Palazzo Incontri Piccolellis, is located in Florence in the ancient Canto di Balla, so called because it opened at the door of Balla in the ancient city walls in use until the twelfth century.
Originally it was in this place, to mark the corner between Via de’ Pucci and Via dei Servi, a large house and two smaller houses that until the early fifteenth century were owned by the Medici family, before the construction of the Palazzo Medici in Via Larga.
Collected in 1469 in a ‘single’ large house, they were sold to the Arte del Cambio and then to Giovanni di Antonio Vespucci, politician already gonfaloniere of justice, who, according to the history written by Giorgio Vasari, commissioned some opera also to Sandro Botticelli and and to Piero di Cosimo. In 1533 the palace was sold to Piero di Alamanno Salviati, then to the Bartolini Salimbeni family (1564), and through a dowry to Piero Ridolfi, who was involved in a conspiracy against the Medici and was forced into exile.
In 1608 the palace was bought by the family Baglioni of Perugia, which expanded it a lot but ended up in debt, so much so that it was mortgaged to the Monte Comune, when in 1676 it was bought by Ludovico Attilio Incontri, a noble from a family originally from Volterra. Incontri, after having bought other neighboring houses, transformed the building into the current forms that intervened significant changes until 1853, when, in order to provide it with comfort that allowed the rent,- an extensive restructuring operation was carried out on project and direction by Giuseppe Poggi, completed in 1857. Thanks to the possession of some adjacent houses, the property was thus enriched in these years of a stable, an access for carriages and a monumental staircase, on a project by Poggi.
Purchased in 1894 by Filippo de Piccolellis, it was inhabited by him and his wife Isabella Poniatowski, daughter of the Polish prince, who, thanks to his network of knowledge in Italy and abroad, animated the city’s worldly life from the drawing room of his palace.
The building passed to the Banca Cr Firenze, current owner.